Tuesday, October 9, 2012

My little helmet-head

Wyatt was born with torticollis, a condition of tightened neck muscles from his in utero position. This tightening of neck muscles causes him to have a right head tilt and also not to be able to turn his head all the way to his left. Due to this, he developed a flat spot on the side of his head, because when he lies down, he lies on that one side, causing his skull to grow in other places and creating a flat spot. Yes, we did and do ample tummy time, it turns out that babies born with torticollis are likely to develop this flattening because of the amount of they now spend on their backs for sleeping. While sleeping on their back has greatly reduced death from SIDS, it has also increased the kiddos with flat spots like Wyatt's.

I mentioned Wyatt's "oddly-shaped" head to his pediatrician at his 4 month appointment and she recommended we visit Cranial Technologies to see if he's a candidate for a cranial band ( like a helmet you may have seen on babies). It turns out he definitely is a candidate with how severe his torticollis and flat spot are, so beginning next Monday, my sweet Wyatt will be a "helmet head" for a while. I was very anxious when I first learned he may need to do this, I felt guilty of doing something wrong to my baby boy, and nervous about him needing this corrective helmet. Now that we've been in twice to the Cranial Tech place, my guilt has subsided (some) as I now know it isn't something I did or did not do. I'm feeling still a little nervous about the process, but very hopeful that Wyatt will only wear it for a short time and that it will benefit him. If we were to not treat, it could be something that affects his facial alignment, which could then cAuse inner ear problems (affecting balance etc) and even airway compression making it difficult for him to breathe. So, if you were wondering, it's not simply cosmetic-if it were just looks, I don't know that we would change anything as he's perfect, flat spot and all. But knowing this could be something that impacts his health, we are glad to be able to help him. Next week, look forward to a picture of the cutest baby you've ever seen in a helmet!!! Until then, here's some pictures of him at the doc waiting for his photo shoot to measure his precious head....

2 comments:

Kristi said...

A friend of mine whose son needed to wear a helmet recommends Blingyourband.com They have decals you can use to decorate the helmet.

Marta :) said...

um...so I love the rolls on his thighs! :)
Love you Wyatt!! and his momma :)

Followers