Sunday, February 28, 2010

366 days of nursing...

Well, it's official. My baby girl is weaned, and I made it to my self-proclaimed goal of 1 year of nursing. In fact, we made it exactly a year. Yesterday was the last morning that I nursed her...today, she unwillingly and reluctantly drank whole milk instead... not so sure she likes the replacement, but we'll figure it out.

I feel like I should throw myself (or the "girls") a party....What a year it's been! I was so nervous and anxious about nursing at first; will she ever latch on? will she get enough? how will I know? Is my milk ok? do I need to eat more veggies and less chocolate? is a cup of coffee ok?

And then (some of) the anxiety left but the questions continued... when will it take less than an hour to feed her? is it possible to walk and nurse at the same time? (Yes!), how much milk do i need to pump to be sure she has enough? is eating lots of ice cream going to help milk production (well, I hope it did... I used it as an excuse!), and then they changed again as she started being a speed-eater.... is she getting enough with her quick drinks? when should i drop a feeding? how?

I feel like it was a year of trial and error, sometimes she ate 5 times a day, other times 3 (those days freaked me out a little bit) sometimes she would drink milk from a bottle, sometimes she acted as if that were the worst thing EVER and refused a bottle.... all I know is, I made it, we made it, and we liked it. And I will do it again with my other babies, for sure, as long as I am able and they're willing. Nursing, for me, was wonderful and I loved it, teeth and all. God is a smart God, creating us to feed our babies like that :) Pure brilliance.

1 comment:

Omi Ford said...

Way to go Sarah and Zanna!
Another reason you are a HERO!

Followers